A day of boating, sun and friendship came to a tragic end on Monday afternoon when a Marco man was electrocuted at 1770 Edington Place as he apparently mistakenly grabbed a downed LCEC electrical transmission line.
The line had been dislodged after a transformer on a local pole had blown due to falling palm frond.
Curtiss Wold, 49, was pronounced dead at the scene. Wold lived in a condo at 1770 Edington Place with his fiance, Paige Rhodes
They had been boating earlier in the day with good friends and had recently returned home from their excursion when Wold discovered the downed line.
Marco Island police and fire units were dispatched at 3:36 p.m. and arrived on scene at 3:40 p.m. and immediately contacted LCEC through a public safety hotline. The area electricity was shut down.
“After the emergency shutdown was initiated we had personnel do a secondary check with ‘hot sticks’ and a review with local residents as to the status of their power to ensure the area was safe for our personnel to approach and render aid,” said Chris Bryne, deputy chief of the Marco Island Fire-Rescue Department.
The tragedy strikes his fiance Paige Rhodes at a difficult time.
It comes shortly after the two-year anniversary of the loss of her son, Clay Burroughs, at 22 years of age. A student at Ava Maria University, Burroughs was killed in a tragic motor vehicle accident on Immokalee Road while driving to work from school early one morning in July 2012.
Wold leaves behind three of his own children.
Marco Police are continuing their investigation, but sources indicate the death appears to be accidental.